My Capo D'Astro Bar

>> Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pianos have a device called the Capo d’Astro Bar. It’s a bar under the piano, fixed across the harp and bearing down on the strings. It is designed to prevent any warping. But in most pianos, this device isn’t heavy enough to actually prevent warping. But the Aeolian piano is different. It has a very heavy-duty metallic Capo d’Astro Bar.

                                                      

Did you know that the strings in a piano don’t even begin to warp until 50 years have passed? That means for 50 years the Capo d’Astro Bar is just sitting there, waiting to be put to work. And after 50 years, the solid Capo d’Astro Bar in the Aeolian piano goes to work, keeping it in tune.  

When I learned of the Capo d’Astro Bar, I immediately drew a parallel to my life.

When I was about 30 years old, I made a wonderful discovery. I had been gifted from birth with a VERY HEAVY-DUTY Capo D’Astro Bar. It had been there through all my hurting years, just waiting for the right moment to begin its job. At 30, it began working, pressing on my warping strings and bringing me into tune.

God is my Capo D’Astro Bar. He waited patiently while I struggled through those early years. He waited some more while I worked my way out of a life that had been programmed by others. More waiting while I searched for the “real” me inside. And when I chose to begin a new life, my Capo D’Astro Bar began doing the work it was designed to do.

This “Bar” will never break. It will never need to have some repair work done on it. There is no heavier Capo D’Astro Bar. It will last forever.

What more could I ask?

I see people all around me who are having a problem with their warping strings. I want to open up their piano and show them the tinker toy bar they have inside, that will never keep them from warping. But they have to want a tune up. I didn’t know I was out of tune for all those years. And so, just as God was patient with me, I must be patient with them.

The next time you listen to a piano being played, think about what is inside, pressing on the strings, keeping it in tune. Then turn your thoughts inward and check out your own Capo D’Astro Bar. Do you have the HEAVY-DUTY one? Or is it still waiting to go to work?

“Tinker Toy” or Heavy-Duty”. The choice is up to you.


3 comments:

Laury February 19, 2011 at 3:56 PM  

Awesome devo. I've never heard about this part of the piano before. Awesome analogy, Joy. I love reading your own writings!

BethL February 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM  

I love this! I've had a love of the piano most of my life.. so this devotion really strikes a chord with me. :) You did a fastastic job in writing this.

Life Moments February 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

Thanks to both of your for your comments. They give me encouragement to write more of my own stuff.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP