Turning on the Light

>> Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Our laundry room is right off the kitchen, and the light switch in that room is on a motion sensor … it senses movement … the light turns on. Previously, I have noticed that even if I don’t go in the laundry room, but pass closely to the doorway, the light comes on. If it senses no more motion, it goes off.

Friday night we had a small gathering in our home celebrating the first anniversary of living in our new home. On one of my trips to the kitchen to get something, I watched a hilarious routine unfold.

A friend was standing in the kitchen by the laundry room doorway, talking intently with someone. Occasionally he would make some movement … and the laundry room light would come on. With no break in the conversation, his hand would reach into the laundry room to turn the light off. Another movement from him and the light was back on. He never took a break in his conversation to check out the light switch and understand what was happening, just repeatedly tried to turn the light off.

I continued with my hostess duties and left him to fight the light battle on his own.

But I’ve been thinking about what happened. The light refused to stay off. If someone was within its sensing distance, it turned on.

My Bible tells me I’m supposed to be a light in the darkness. Do I operate as well as that light in my laundry room? If I sense someone nearby, does my light come on? If they leave and come back repeatedly, do I finally give up and refuse to turn on again? Or can I be counted on to always give light when someone is close by?

Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. Matthew 5:14 (MSG)

2 comments:

Bob West March 17, 2011 at 12:09 AM  

Very Interesting blog. I am now a follower. I thought you might want to check out Paradox Principles
All the best, Bob West
http://westbob.blogspot.com/2011/03/reversing-your-thinking.html

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps March 17, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

How wonderful to have a light come on when your arms are full of laundry - even more wonderful if we can all be that lighthouse for Jesus! thanks!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP