Who Told You?

>> Monday, March 21, 2011

Chuck Swindoll asked a question that caused me to think … on and on. Who told you about Jesus and led you to Him?

At the age of six my mother told me to go to the altar and receive Christ. And so I went to the altar. I have no memory of it. But I always did what I was told. This was a story she repeated through the years.

The church we attended didn’t really talk about Jesus. It was all about God … and His anger toward us.

My teen years were filled with multiple trips to the altar … always because my mother said so. I felt no joy in those trips, just a relief that she would leave me alone for a week or so. Each trip was because in some way I had displeased God.

No mention of Jesus and His love.

Then I was told to marry the preacher’s son … and I did. He became a preacher, but espoused the same religion his father had delivered. He certainly did not ever talk to me about Jesus. And so I continued to live in obedience to a doctrine that expected me to live by the list of rules dictated by our church.

No mention of Jesus and His love.

And then came the day that I was lying on my back in a hospital bed … and had been for several days. I was bleeding internally and the doctors were searching for the cause. Even though I had prayed the required prayers all my life, I had never talked to God. But I had no one else to turn to, so I asked, “God, I have done all that you have required of me, I’ve lived by the 637 rules of conduct, so why am I here? What did I do wrong to deserve this?”

I saw no flash of light … heard no thunder … but very clearly I heard, “I have no grandchildren.”

That was not helpful. What, exactly, did that mean? But since I had plenty of time to ponder it, my mind went to work.

My whole life had been lived under the direction of a human telling me what God wanted of me. As the days passed, I came to the understanding that God wanted a relationship with me … a concept totally foreign to me.

During the ten days I lay in that hospital bed, I began a relationship. No human came to my bedside, but Jesus was with me in that room. When I was dismissed, I returned home a different person.

I was no longer a grandchild, but a child of God.

Who told you? Can you remember the people in your life who pointed you in the direction of God’s love?

And now I ponder my life. Who have I told about Jesus? Can anyone point to me and say, “She helped me understand about His love?”

“For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us…” Hebrews 4:2 (NIV)

3 comments:

Joanne Sher March 21, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

I really can't narrow it down to just one person - it was so many. But I have to say it all started with Chip - an online friend I have sadly lost track of.

What a great testimony, Joy.

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps March 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM  

Great to think back to THAT day and who was involved - enjoyed your testimony and the reflecting on my own story too!

Joy Bach March 23, 2011 at 7:05 AM  

Sorry you've lost track of Chip. But it's wonderful you can point back to him and say "He told me."

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP