Oh What a Day

>> Saturday, April 30, 2011

In the wee hours of this morning, 1:00 a.m. to be exact, the television coverage of the royal wedding began. Some folks in our time zone just didn’t bother going to bed. I did. I figured there are always highlights somewhere I can watch. People in London have been camping out for several days along the procession route, so they could catch a glimpse of history in the making.

In Florida, another kind of history was scheduled … the launch of the space shuttle with Commander Mark Kelly in charge of the six-man crew. I find it ironic that we know him as the husband of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was allowed to leave her rehab in Houston to travel to Florida. The news reports have given us our first picture of her as she climbed the steps to the airplane. A crowd estimated at 700,000 gathered to mark one more thing off their bucket list. But the van carrying the crew to the launch platform made a U-turn, never completing the trip. The launch was postponed.

Today would have been Dale Earnhardt’s 60th birthday. He lost his life in 2001 on the last lap of the Daytona 500. He had an impact on me. I discovered him about the time I was crawling out of the pile of “shoulds, oughts, and have tos” that I had grown up with. As I watched him fearlessly drive 190 mph, aiming his car for a hole that wasn’t there yet, he helped teach me about life. There were those who didn’t like him, and it didn’t bother him a bit. I had lived my life trying to please everyone. Racing is not the same without him moving through the pack.

I have in front of me an email which I printed out to make sure I remembered it. Today, in an operating room in Seattle, a friend of mine is undergoing an eight-hour cranial surgery to remove a tumor. It was to have started at 7:30 this morning. I’ve received no word since.

This morning’s paper states that 297 people have been killed by the tornadoes that twisted their way across the south. Today, families have been allowed to return to the spot where their home once stood to dig through the rubble, looking for mementoes of a life that is gone.

Today, I feel blessed beyond measure. I can see, walk, hear, eat, laugh and love. My home is still in one piece (and a lovely home at that). I paid bills today and have some money left. Soon my husband will come home from work and then we’ll spend some time together. (I just heard him come in the door).

Life is like that, the good and the bad, all in one day.

“A right time for birth and another for death,
A right time to plant and another to reap,
A right time to kill and another to heal,
A right time to destroy and another to construct,
A right time to cry and another to laugh,
A right time to lament and another to cheer,
A right time to make love and another to abstain,
A right time to embrace and another to part,
A right time to search and another to count your losses,
A right time to hold on and another to let go,
A right time to rip out and another to mend,
A right time to shut up and another to speak up,
A right time to love and another to hate,
A right time to wage war and another to make peace.”
Eccclesiastes 3:2-8 (MSG)



3 comments:

Joanne Sher April 30, 2011 at 6:48 AM  

Such a hard truth - and so much sadness - but yet the hope is there, thanks to our Lord. Thank you for this, Joy.

Joy Bach April 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

Good morning Joanne. We just need to look at life with an eternal perspective. That's easy to forget.

Rita Garcia May 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM  

Joy, thanks for this enlightening post! Yes, indeed, we need an eternal perspective!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP