First Time Mother

>> Thursday, May 19, 2011

She seemed so very tiny with a darling button nose. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. With her fists balled under her chin, her big eyes stared right back. My first child … whose birthday just happens to be today.

It’s been quite a journey. I knew the basics of child care. The diapers and bottles, rocking her or walking the floor, singing songs to her and watching her breathe as she slept. But it takes so much more than that. And no matter how hard you try, you can never be that perfect parent … since there isn’t one.

In the beginning years, I raised her as I had been taught. Now I am very aware of how misguided I was. She was a teenager before I took a different path. But at that age, so many patterns were already ingrained. As I struggled to learn a new way of parenting, one thing didn’t change … my love for her.

Now we are adults together … and I’m so very proud of her. It’s so hard to believe how fast those years have flown by. Even though she will always be my daughter … now she is also my friend. We get our nails done and talk at Starbucks. When I go visit her, she is a very gracious hostess and a great tour guide. I’ve seen everything from Hearst Castle to Westwood in the wee hours of the morning.

Happy birthday to my firstborn.

“…..their children will be a blessing.” Psalm 37:26b (NIV)

4 comments:

Joanne Sher May 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

So lovely. Hope you're enjoying my old stomping grounds :)

Joy Bach May 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

Having a great time. Thanks Joanne

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps May 20, 2011 at 5:38 AM  

Beautiful tribute on her birthday! I spent most of my adult life in the Central valley (before moving to CO) and have definitely walked the places you refer to here. Miss the ocean!

Joy Bach May 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM  

Good morning, Marijo. Is that what's it's called ... Central Valley? I've never lived there, but she loves it. Thanks for your comments. Love to hear from you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP