Next Time I'm Taking a Jacket

>> Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I was cold. And I could see no indication that I would soon be warmer. The room was colder than outside. I was attending an all-day meeting … in this cold room. Glancing around at the other attendees, I spied a man wearing a jacket. Aha! As the meeting began, I kept my eye on that jacket. Then he took it off and hung it on the back of his chair. Now was my chance.

“Tom, would you mind if I borrowed your jacket? It is so cold in here and I didn’t bring one.”

Gentleman that he is, he promptly removed it from the chair and held it for me to put on. I snuggled into it and returned to my seat.

During the first break, here came Tom. I thought oh no, he’s coming to get his jacket. Not so. He just needed to retrieve something from one of the pockets. Within an hour, he was headed my way again. This time he needed something out of a different pocket. As the day progressed, on a regular basis, Tom needed something from his jacket.

It was like a comedy routine.

It made me think … about lack of preparedness on my part and how my lack had caused him to have a problem.

Isn’t that what life is like? We don’t plan our money wisely and suddenly there is too much outgo for the income? We don’t prepare the healthy type of food, so when we are hungry we eat badly? Many times, when we have failed to plan, we turn to someone else for help. Does it matter to us that we have now caused a problem for them?

Tom never complained about his need for trips to his jacket. And others that we have used in our life may not either. But how do they see us?

Next time I’m taking a jacket.

“The rich rules over the poor,
         And the borrower becomes the lender's slave.” Proverbs 22:7 (NASB)


2 comments:

Joanne Sher May 18, 2011 at 9:00 AM  

Great post, Joy. Gonna remember this one!

Joy Bach May 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM  

Thanks Joanne. You are a great encourager.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP