Ringing Doorbell

>> Wednesday, May 11, 2011

After having worked in the yard, a hot shower was going to be refreshing … and cleansing. Just as I rubbed the shampoo into my hair, the doorbell rang.

“Oh great,” I thought. “Well, they will just have to wait.”

And then it occurred to me, that didn’t sound like our doorbell.

Days before, I had set an alarm on my iPhone for something I would otherwise forget. The doorbell ringtone was the one I had chosen.

And now it was ringing … on and on. I was hoping for only one minute.

But no, the doorbell continued to ring.

What an intrusion to my usual meditating and quiet time. Just how long would it go on?

As the ringing sounded through my bathroom, my thoughts turned to life … and some people in my life. People like that intrusive, continually ringing doorbell.

At least I could eventually turn the alarm off … even if I had to use a hammer.

People don’t have an off button.

You didn't think, did you, that just by pointing your finger at others you would distract God from seeing all your misdoings and from coming down on you hard? Or did you think that because he's such a nice God, he'd let you off the hook? Better think this one through from the beginning. God is kind, but he's not soft. In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change.” Romans 2:3-4 (MSG)


2 comments:

Lisa Mikitarian May 11, 2011 at 6:33 AM  

Those are verses that can feel like a cold shower of reality!

Joy Bach May 11, 2011 at 7:08 AM  

Yes, indeed. This was a weird one that just came to me and I wrote it as it did. Didn't even feel like it really ended. I must have needed it badly.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP