Kennel Life ... or Freedom

>> Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My husband, John, and I sat by the fire pit, feet propped on the edge, as we watched our three-year old dog, Charlie, romp in the back yard. He would grab his toy, run back and forth on the grass, collapse to chew frantically, bounce up and repeat the running. Occasionally he would skid to a halt between our chairs and bless us with his panting … tongue hanging out. 

In other words, he was having a blast.

So different from the dog we brought home almost three months ago. That Charlie never pounced, ran, or came to stand beside us. He eyed us warily from his chosen corner. If he was lying down and one of us stood to do something, instantly he was on the alert, standing and watching. The first time we tried to put him in the car, John had to lift him in … and he didn’t know how to ride. He kept falling over and slipping off the seat. There was no head hanging out the window.

In other words, what we had was a thoroughly traumatized dog.

Charlie was a stud dog at a kennel. We can only surmise that he lived in that cage. Apparently he had no social contact with people. We were told he never barked. He existed from day to day … serving only one purpose.
As I watched him at play, I thought of the before and after Charlies … and I could identify. I used to be just like that traumatized dog. The Joy I was before eyed everyone warily. People meant hurting. I had no social skills … no running and playing. My life was to serve one purpose … being religious.

But a loving God rescued me from that cage.

You should see the “after” Joy. I no longer strive to be religious, but am now free to live life to the fullest … basically having a blast.

"This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he'll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!” John 16:23-24 (MSG)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP