Maybe It's Not So Bad After All

>> Thursday, June 23, 2011

With my music playing (a little louder than normal), singing (a little louder than normal) … I was the only car driving down Highway 395. Beautiful mountains, trees and little streams provided a backdrop for the wonderful time I was having. I came around a curve just as two motorcycles pulled onto the highway from the side of the road. As I slowed to give them time to get up to speed, I thought no problem. These are motorcycles. In no time I’ll be eating their dust.

Didn’t happen.

They barely accelerated to the speed limit, dropping below occasionally. And they had spaced themselves one behind the other with not enough room to pass one at a time. I would have to pass both. The road was continuous curves with a solid yellow line on my side.

I checked the speedometer. 45 MPH. What was their problem? At this rate, it would take much longer to reach my destination. Even more than that, they had taken away my pleasure in driving. Not only was I going slowly, but I was on the alert, in case one of them bobbled.

Finally … finally … they pulled over at a turnout and allowed me to pass. I resumed the music, singing and having a blast. That is until I rounded a curve and there … in front of me … was a logging truck.

I groaned.

As I drove slowly behind it … 25 MPH … I recalled my frustration at the slowness of the 45 MPH motorcycles. That was much better than this. Mile after mile I drove 25 MPH … mentally tapping my fingers with impatience. There was no passing lane and no turnout big enough for the truck to pull over. I glanced in my rear view mirror, expecting to see my motorcycle friends. Soon they would catch up.

What seemed like hours later the truck turned on its right turn signal, slowed almost to a stop and then turned down a road to the right.

Liberated, I picked up speed. But before I returned to my music, my thoughts turned to life.

How like humans to think we have it bad. Maybe we want a bigger house, or we have a health issue we are struggling with. But just around the curve, we see a much larger family than ours living in a smaller house than we have. Or maybe we meet someone with a terminal illness.

Maybe we don’t have it so bad after all.

“…..for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” Phil. 4:11-13 (NLT)


2 comments:

Sherry June 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM  

Whenever I start to feel sorry for myself I make a list of everything that I'm greatful for. I write as fast as I can and list as many things as I can think of. It squashes the pity party pretty quickly. Have a blessed weekend!

Joy Bach June 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

Wonderful idea. We should all do that. Thanks for your comment.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP