My Quest for Jeans

>> Monday, June 20, 2011

Wearing pants was a sin. That was just a fact in my growing up world. I was in my 30’s before I re-considered that premise … by looking at some dress slacks … and then actually wearing them. But jeans … that would be a stretch.

A few years ago I became friends with Linda … who seemed to live in jeans. One day she asked me why I never wore jeans. I had no really good answer. And so began my quest to find some jeans I liked.

I went shopping (which is one of my least favorite things to do).

Over the next few years I would try on a pair … think they would work … buy them … wear them a few times … and then they would hang in my closet. Finally, off they would go to Goodwill or maybe a friend who could use them.

My quest continued.

Occasionally Linda and I would return to the conversation about jeans. She was delighted I was searching for a pair I was comfortable in. Then the unthinkable happened. Linda was murdered. The quest for jeans was pushed aside. Eventually I began looking again … and it seemed as though Linda was right beside me.

A few weeks ago I needed to purchase something totally unrelated to jeans. I planned to hurry in … purchase it … and hurry out (my shopping style). I just happened to walk by a display of jeans. Pausing, I recognized the brand as something I was comfortable in with other kinds of pants. What if these were the ones?

Not even bothering to try them on, I bought a pair and took them home. My husband and I were planning to attend a motorcycle rally … which involved camping out. Jeans would be a good thing to have.

They fit. I returned to the store and bought a second pair.

Today I’m sitting in the campground … wearing my jeans … and I can just see Linda smiling.

“And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,” Matthew 6:28 (NASB)


6 comments:

Rita Garcia June 20, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

A touching post on so many levels!
I also grew up with legalism being bantered about as if it was truly in God's word--now I know better!
What a beautiful tribute to a dear friend!
Hugs, Rita

Laury June 20, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

I'm sure Linda is smiling:) So glad you found a pair that fit well!!! Yay Joy!!!

Joanne Sher June 20, 2011 at 7:48 AM  

What a neat post, and story! Love this, Joy!

Joy Bach June 20, 2011 at 8:14 AM  

Thanks so much. Your words brought tears to my eyes.

Diana Dart June 20, 2011 at 9:12 AM  

Ahhh, Joy!! You've touched my heart today. It's amazing how simple things like a pair of jeans can connect us so strongly. Thanks for sharing your dear friend with us and shout outs for finding "that" pair of jeans :)

Joy Bach June 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM  

Diana thanks for your comments. You just don't know what the connection might be and when it might be broken. Hugs.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP