No Longer Contained

>> Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My husband, John, and I were working in the garage. We had opened the garage door to get a little breeze. Our dog, Charlie, was safely contained in our fenced back yard (we thought). Suddenly I heard the jingle of his collar … coming from the driveway. By the time that thought registered, here he came … nonchalantly strolling into the garage.


How? John secured Charlie while I went to investigate. The gate was wide open. Now this gate is very difficult to open and close. Believe me, no dog could do it. I barely can.

We have no idea how that gate got open. Kind of gives me an uneasy feeling. Questions like who? Why?

But sometimes, in life, we think we have a memory or action from the past securely fastened in a gated area of our mind. And out of the blue, suddenly, that memory is there … staring us in the face.

Who caused the gate to open? What do you do with it now? Do you even know what you have contained … something from the past … that needs to be dealt with now?

“So repent (change your mind and purpose); turn around and return [to God], that your sins may be erased (blotted out, wiped clean), that times of refreshing (of recovering from the effects of heat, of reviving with fresh air) may come from the presence of the Lord;” Acts 3:19 (Amplified)


5 comments:

Yvonne Blake June 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

Oh wow! I know exactly what you're talking about. You think something is done and forgotten, but it comes up again. I think God does that to make us deal with it properly.
Thanks for the analogy.

Joy Bach June 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

Thanks, Yvonne. Yes, it's unfinished business.

Rita Garcia June 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM  

There are times when suddenly things seem out of kilter and I know it's time to pray--somewhere I've neglected to close a gate. That unfinished business has a way of swinging wide the gates when we least expect it.
Great post.
btw--sorry I missed your JoE post on June 2, just read it and commented. Loved the pictures of the mugs. I need a couple of them on my counter as a reminder. Hugs!!

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps June 16, 2011 at 5:29 AM  

Our pets grab our hearts and so does "as far as the east is from the west...." Close those gates - great reflections!

Joy Bach June 16, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

Good morning Rita and Marijo. Thanks for your comments. Love it when I hear from you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP