Simplifying

>> Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My husband sits beside me on the couch.  Objects keep flying by his head.  Finally he turns to me and asks, “What are you doing?”

“I’m simplifying”. 

I have a plan.  I bring a pile of papers, magazines, or other stuff.  I place the pile in my lap … and then I simplify.  Whatever is no longer necessary in my life, I fling toward the back door.  The “keepables” are placed in proper stacks on the floor so they can be put away in their respective places. 

During one of these flinging episodes, I heard a little voice quietly say, “I hope I’m still necessary in your life.” 

I’ve reached that age when it is time to focus on the time I have left.  All the unnecessary and peripheral things need to go. 

That takes focus. 

First I have to decide just exactly where I need to expend my energies.  I’ve discovered that God has given me gifts … gifts He intended me to use to help others.  Who can I help?  What kind of help can I give them? 

Next, I need to equip me for that ministry.  What do I need to learn?  How do I need to change? 

Then there is always the fear. What about the fear of rejection?  I put words on paper.  What makes me think someone else wants to read them?  Am I being arrogant?  I push past those thoughts and submit an article. 

I’m taking this a day at a time … a prayer at a time … a new concept at a time.  I have no idea how many years I have left, but God does.  He knows exactly what it is He wants me to accomplish with them. 

Maybe I’ll be another “Grandma Moses” and come into my prime in my 80’s. 

The process of simplifying removes the unnecessary to enable me to focus on the necessary. That’s the plan for now.     

“However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me.” Acts 20:24 (NIV)


3 comments:

Dave Gress June 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM  

"I have a firm conviction that I am immortal until my work is done." - Lottie Moon

Joy Bach June 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

Great quote, Dave. Thanks.

Rita Garcia June 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM  

"When I stand before God at the end of my life I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'" -Erma Bombeck

What you said in your post--me,too!
I also find myself sorting, simplifying and contemplating life.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP