The Comedy Routine

>> Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I missed the comedy routine … and it happened at my house.
My husband, John, and I have a business which involves picking up and delivering cases. Since I work in Pasco, two blocks from one of our customers, sometimes when he comes home from work he brings a case with him, puts it on the kitchen counter, I put it in my car and when I go to work, I deliver it.
Simple enough.

Last night, when I got home, there was a case sitting on the counter. I waited until this morning after he had gone to work to take the case to my car so I wouldn’t forget it.
Then I took a shower.
Here’s the part I missed. After he left, John remembered he had picked up a case last night … not for me to deliver … but for him to do a little touch up on. It wasn’t in his car, so he decided he had taken it in the house. He came back home and turned the house upside down looking for his case.
Guess where it was? In my car, ready for delivery. He finally found it and returned to work.

Life is like that. We have good intentions. But suddenly we are on a merry-go-round of confusion and conflict. Mistakes are made that result in wasted effort as we try to undo the error. If I had actually completed my delivery, it would have complicated the process.

Maybe it’s time for a reality check … for you … and me. It may be a spouse we need to slow down and listen to. Or maybe one of the kids has been trying to get us to hear what they are trying to say, but we are so busy with the process of living that we continue on in the same pattern.
Is there a comedy routine happening at your house?

“A person may think their own ways are right, but the LORD weighs the heart.” Proverbs 21:2 (NIV)

2 comments:

opramum July 13, 2011 at 6:45 AM  

Ha ha, there's ALWAYS a comedy routine going on at our house! But mostly it's intentional, we love to have fun together. Thanks for your insightful writing and sharing.

Lisa Mikitarian July 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

Yes! And what a positive way to frame something that could be negative.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP