Famine in the Land

>> Thursday, July 28, 2011

The pictures brought a stab of pain to my heart. Little children … babies … starving to death in Somalia: mothers with the look of anguish on their faces. Some had been walking for a month trying to find help … and lost one child or more to death on the way.  

As the news continued, my thoughts were scattered. How awful. Those people live in the same world I do. Why them and not me? How do those mothers take it? What can I do?   

This morning, on the treadmill, I could not get those pictures out of my mind. I live such a blessed life. I’ve been hungry a few times in my life, but never starving … emaciated … lifeless.  

That’s when my mind turned to a different kind of famine. The starving people shown on the news last night are on the other side of the world. But we are experiencing a famine in our land … in our United States … that isn’t being talked about on the nightly news.  

Those starving people do not look emaciated. They are executives … or football and baseball players …movie stars … and the neighbor next door. Sometimes they commit suicide. Others … such as Amy Winehouse … die of drug and alcohol abuse. At the age of 27, she is dead … joining a list of other 27-year olds who starved to death.  

Just as you and I want to be loved and accepted, so did they. Sometimes they traveled a long way seeking assistance. But in the world they lived in, the right kind of help was not available.  

Once again I think how awful. Those people live in the same world I do. What can I do? And I am very aware that I come in contact with starving people every day … starving for love and acceptance.  

I would gladly share my food with the starving children in Somalia. But I need to be willing to give love and acceptance to the people in my world. … and help them discover hope by introducing them to the unfailing source … Jesus.


Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:35 (NLT)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP