A Matter of Trust

>> Tuesday, July 26, 2011

As I walked down the hallway of our home our dog, Charlie, bounded by my side. A newly recovered traumatized dog, he had definitely swung the other way. He played rough … nipping at first … and then biting. He had actually drawn blood on my husband John’s arm as they played ball one day. So we were working on quelling the over-exuberance.

 
Suddenly my hand was in a death grip with Charlie’s teeth pressing my flesh. As quickly as he bit, it was over … but for the first time I gave his nose a smack. This had to stop.


Yesterday, since he was being so good while John was out of town, I decided to give him a treat. When Charlie came to live with us, a friend had given us a box of doggie treats … biscuits. We didn’t overdo the treat thing, so the box was still half full … which indicated that he had eaten those treats before.

In the laundry room, I petted and praised and then gave him his treat. When I reached the kitchen, I turned to see why he was making such a funny sound. He was madly pawing at the sides of his mouth … finally lying on the floor and frantically pawing.

 He was in trouble.

John had been trying to get the ball out of his mouth to throw it again, when Charlie had bitten him. Expecting the same reaction from Charlie, I ran for the laundry room, reached for his mouth and pulled it open. He just laid there, which caused a quick reaction on my part. This is worse than I thought.

With me holding onto his jaws, Charlie moved to a sitting position. I could see down his throat. The dog biscuit was stuck crosswise in there. Knowing that his teeth could do severe damage if he closed his mouth, I reached for the back of his throat, hooked my finger around the biscuit and pulled. It was really stuck … and it took a quick jerk to dislodge it.

That whole time Charlie never made a sound or a move. He trusted me. So I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about trust. It goes both ways. I had to trust that Charlie would not bite me … and he had to trust that I was helping him.

It’s the same with people. Are there some that you don’t trust? Can they trust you … with their feelings … their faults … their dreams?

Then there is God. For many years, I did not trust Him … and I certainly was not worthy of His trust. But now I have entrusted my life to Him. Just as I had to grab Charlie’s jaws, pry them open and reach down his throat … which I’m sure he didn’t like or enjoy … I have to trust God when I feel things aren’t going the way I would like.

It’s a matter of trust.


"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.” Matthew 6:34 (MSG)


4 comments:

Anonymous,  July 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

Poor Charlie....what a scary moment.

Great story.

Bonnie

Joy Bach July 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM  

Thank you, Bonnie. It all happened so quickly and I just moved by instinct. Now we are best buds.

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps July 27, 2011 at 6:33 AM  

How scary for you and Charlie to have him choking like that! What a great object lesson though. Hope we get to hear more about Charlie and his progress!

Joy Bach July 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

Thanks, Marijo. Yes, it was a great lesson for me. I'm sure you'll hear more about him. I just can't help it.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP