Simple Fix

>> Saturday, July 23, 2011

Porokeratosis. Say what? That’s what my mind said when the Podiatrist gave me that diagnosis. “But it’s a simple fix. We just excise the plug and the pain will go away.” I didn’t know this man, but I trusted he knew what he was talking about.

I walk two miles every morning. The last few weeks the bottom of my foot had become more and more painful. With my fingers, I could feel the hard lump that caused my foot to feel like a piece of glass was poking me with each step. So I purchased some donut-hole pads from Dr. Scholl. But the pain had overridden the padding.

I decided to soak my foot and take care of that lump myself. Didn’t work.


That’s how I ended up walking into the doctor’s office at 3:15 p.m. on Monday. The doctor was correct. It was a simple fix. He picked up a surgical knife … scraped, poked and prodded on the bottom of my foot … and said, “There, the plug just popped right out.”

At 3:30 p.m. on Monday I walked out of the doctor’s office.

Simple fix.

As I walked … pain free … on the treadmill this morning, my thoughts turned to how simple it is to become a Christ-follower. Just as the doctor removed the painful plug on my foot, Christ removes the painful baggage we carry with us. But just as I tried other things first before I finally went to the doctor, we try to take care of our pain ourselves. Some of us eat … others drink or do drugs.

All we have to do is turn to him. He says, “It’s a simple fix. Just trust in Me. Give Me all your pain.” And He gently removes our plugs … whatever they may be. All He asks in return is that we live for Him … letting Him guide us through our life.

I may have to return to the Podiatrist in a year. He said, “Once they start coming, they tend to come back. They love you. You can just come see me every year or so and I’ll do this again.” That’s the physical realm.

But in the spiritual realm, one time is enough. My simple fix with Jesus has lasted over 40 years … and counting.


"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG)


2 comments:

Joy Bach July 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM  

Thanks Joanne, for being such an encourager to me.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP