Tell Your Face

>> Monday, July 11, 2011

I recognized the voice immediately. And instantly I had a very non-Christian thought. Please don’t let her see me.  

I knew this lady from church. I had heard others speak highly of all the activities she was involved in. Yet in my few encounters with her, I seemed to have a different opinion (which I kept to myself). Only I (and God) knew I went out of my way to avoid her in the hallways of our church.  

And now she was here.  

I am a bookkeeper at an appliance store. She was here to buy an appliance. My office is at the back of the store in a separate room … but without doors. Chances are she would never know I was back there. But I wondered what kind of interaction there would be between her and the salesperson.  

I went back to my work.  

Later, as my co-workers reviewed the day, they mentioned the one lady who was difficult to deal with. They asked me if I knew her.  

“Yes. She is a member of my church.”  

“She goes to church? I’ve never seen a face that looked that sour on a Christian. She should tell her face.”  

I have never seen this lady smile. Her mouth is perpetually turned down at the corners. She looks like she is in a constant state of irritation. Her visit to our store happened months ago and yet I remember the comment she should tell her face.  

It’s made me very aware of my face. Do I look like someone who has a wonderful life? If someone finds out I attend church, does my face make them want to go there too … to discover what makes me so happy?  

What is your face saying about you?  

“…….do not look gloomy and sour and dreary like the hypocrites……” Matthew 6:16 (AMP)


2 comments:

Joanne Sher July 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM  

Oooh - great thoughts, Joy. Will remember this -for myself especiallY!

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps July 12, 2011 at 7:00 AM  

There are times when I think I haven't been smiling as much as I used to - when I start doing it more it is amazing how people change (maybe especially me) We have so much to be thankful for and joyful about - do we show it?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP