He Touched Me

>> Thursday, August 11, 2011

He laid his hand on my head. I may never wash my hair again. He was a nationally known musician and he was actually touching me. His name was Rafael Mendez … and my fifth grade class had attended his concert. I had been enraptured by his rendition of “Flight of the Bumblebee.” Then he had invited us to visit with him.  

Mendez had recorded many records, appeared on television shows … and then began his full-time career as a trumpet soloist, performing more than 100 concerts a year across the United States and Europe. But it was his strong sense of duty toward education that had allowed a bunch of school children to be his special audience.  

And he had touched me.  

As I think back to that day, I remember my feeling of awe. I was in the presence of a great man. I didn’t wash my hair for a week, but in those days you only washed your hair once a week. I remember thinking I’m washing off where he touched me 

Have you ever been in the presence of a great person? Did that contact linger with you? Did you become a better person, just by being near them?  

As I ponder these thoughts, my mind turns to my contact one day with Jesus. I hadn’t really heard much about Him. My childhood was spent being taught about God … about His power … and how He would use that power to get you if you did something wrong. It would have been a fearful thing to be touched by Him.  

But one day Jesus touched my heart and I’ve never been the same. Soap and water cannot make that contact go away. My awe and reverence is just as strong today as it was all those years ago.  

“A leper came to Him, begging on his knees, "If You want to, You can cleanse me." Deeply moved, Jesus put out His hand, touched him, and said, "I want to. Be clean." Mark 1:40-41 (MSG) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP