Relentless Noise

>> Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My world was filled with sound. Before I opened my eyes in the morning, my ears were already working. They had no choice. The noise filled the room. Taking a walk did not relieve me. It was constant. Trying to sleep was the worst of all. I watched in amazement as my husband was lulled to sleep by the pulsing.  

We were in a motel on the beach … and as the tide came in the lapping water inched closer and closer. Thank goodness we weren’t on the first floor. I longed for some quiet. Occasionally the waves would crash with such a crack I jumped … even in my restless sleep. Couldn’t it just stop for awhile?  

And that is the dilemma. Did I truly want the tides to cease? What havoc would that bring to the whole world?  

As I thought about my longing for the noise to cease, I remembered when I had small children. There were times when the constant movement and noise of my little girls seemed endless. When they learned to talk, words flowed with regularity, just as the waves of the ocean. The thought would flit through my mind can’t they just please be quiet for awhile? But did I really want that?  

Just as the stopping of the tides would bring havoc to our world … the quietness of children that should be at play would break my heart. I’ve witnessed a toddler in a coma. As the parent, you would long for that childish relentless noise.  

Maybe your spouse talks a lot. Do you really want them to stop? Think about how quiet it would be if they were suddenly gone. Perhaps your work environment is noisy. It would definitely be quieter if you didn’t work. But is that what you truly want?  

The ocean didn’t get me. I’m home … inside a house with 12” walls that keep out most of the noise. But I remember the lesson I learned as I listened to the relentless rhythm of our world.  

“The sea belongs to Him, for He made it.” Psalm 95:5 (NLT)  


2 comments:

Joanne Sher August 16, 2011 at 6:09 AM  

Oh, Joy - I SOOO needed this. Right now. Thank you SO MUCH

Joy Bach August 16, 2011 at 8:12 AM  

Thanks, Joanne. Good to hear from you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP