Scanning for a Cloud

>> Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I scanned the horizon … and in Kansas that’s a lot to scan. No clouds in sight. But springtime in tornado alley ensured that soon … if not today then tomorrow … there would be a cloud. It was inevitable. I had been taught what type of cloud was dangerous … the kind that could become a swirling, sucking column moving across the ground … destroying everything in its path.  

So I lived in fear.  

Sure enough, a cloud would appear … way out in the west. As it grew higher and wider, I knew we were in for it. Our two-room upstairs apartment could not protect us from the danger.  

I felt vulnerable.  

In the year 2000, I returned to that house in Kansas. I lived there in the 50’s. There have been a lot of storms buffeting it over the years, but it’s still standing.  

I know people who live life like the young girl I was. It might be medical clouds they scan for … is this lump cancer? Is this pain arthritis? Does this headache mean a tumor? Or perhaps it is a financial cloud they dread. Will I be able to pay my bills next month? How will I feed my children if I get laid off? Will I lose my house?  

They live in fear … and feel vulnerable.  

In the years after my husband left, I lived like that. When your mind is constantly flooded with stress … real or imagined … it does cause illness … which requires you to spend money you don’t have. That leads to more stress. It is such a vicious cycle.  

I lived in fear and felt vulnerable.  

Then I discovered there was a different way to live. My days did not have to be consumed with dread and uncertainty. Even if there was a cloud on the horizon, I knew I would be protected. I found God … not the one my mother taught me about … but One who cared about my fears and vulnerabilities. He held out His hands and one by one I gave my anxieties and insecurities to Him.  

I’ve been buffeted by a lot of storms in my more than six decades on this earth, but I’m still standing … not by my own power, but by utilizing the Power within me.  

“Then you called out to God in your desperate condition;
He got you out in the nick of time.
He quieted the wind down to a whisper,
put a muzzle on all the big waves.
And you were so glad when the storm died down,
and He led you safely back to harbor.
So thank God for His marvelous love…”
Psalm 107:29-30 (MSG)


2 comments:

Yvonne Blake August 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM  

Yes, what comfort and peace we find when we put all our fears in His hands!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP