Which One is Real?

>> Tuesday, August 23, 2011

“Just rest your chin right here. Now lean forward so your forehead touches here. Look at the chart in front of you and tell me which row you can read.”  

“Which chart? I see two.”  

That’s how my visit to the eye doctor went last week. I’ve been having trouble with my vision for a few weeks … and it seemed to come on suddenly. So I asked for an “emergency” appointment. I already knew I was seeing double … not side by side … but one above the other.  

“Ok, tell me when they come together.” And I waited and waited for that to happen. “Are we getting close?” I had to tell him one was overlapping the other, but half of the chart was still hanging out there.  

Finally there was only one. Then we could begin to work on the new prescription for my lens.  

In our world today, there are many religions. Instead of seeing double, we can see a myriad of options to worship … and the object of that adoration has many names. In essence, the leader holds a chart before his followers and asks them to focus their vision on his version of what is right.

Sometimes we ask which chart.  

For years I tried to adjust my vision to a chart held up by my leader … a chart that only vaguely resembled the Bible. But since it was the only chart I had ever seen, I read all the lines with gusto. I had 20/20 vision.  

In my 30’s, I began to have conversations with other people about my chart. That’s when I discovered the plethora of charts in the world. Was mine the real one? I visited several churches (doctors) as I tried to make sure my eyesight was ok. I waited and waited for my vision to come into focus.  

Then came the day my quest ended as my eyesight merged into one belief … which I could see clearly. I could read all the lines … and had 20/20 vision.  

His name is Jesus … and He is the perfect prescription for vision problems.

“…..and asked, "Do you see anything?"

He looked up. "I see men. They look like walking trees." So Jesus laid hands on his eyes again. The man looked hard and realized that he had recovered perfect sight, saw everything in bright, twenty-twenty focus…” Mark 8:23-25 (MSG)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP