It's a Gradual Process

>> Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It happens so gradually you don’t realize it’s occurring. Over time you just accept it. And then one day, it becomes too much. You decide to do something about it.  

You go to the eye doctor.  

I would catch myself tilting my head, trying to find a position that my glasses would actually help me read those words. My eyes were in a constant squint, trying to get the numbers in focus. No matter how hard I concentrated, I just could not get those two images to merge into one. And then there was the watering from the eyes, causing a need to always have a Kleenex nearby.  

I got my new lenses today.  

The technician took my glasses from me … removed the old lenses … inserted the new ones … and returned to place my glasses on my nose.  

“There, how do those feel?”  

Feeling wasn’t the issue. I could see the edges on the counter, the edges on the doorway … everything had edges. Down the hallway was a sign that said Restroom. I could read it … without any tilting or squinting.  

As I drove home … reading all the signs … I thought of how gradually changes can occur in other areas of our lives. We gain five pounds this year … and another five pounds next year. Slowly we change clothes size and then one day we realize we’ve gained 50 pounds.  

Or maybe it’s the marriage that has been changing over the years. The spark left a long time ago. Conversation has become stilted. No longer do you engage in the same activities … you live separate lives. And that person at work actually listens to you when you talk. Your marriage is dying a slow death.  

I consulted an eye doctor for my problem. There are dietitians, doctors, and programs available to help with weight loss. Even though the answer is to just eat less, it’s not that simple. Pastors and marriage counselors are available to help your dying marriage, but it may need something as elementary as paying attention to what’s happening.

If you catch yourself tilting, squinting or straining at life, it’s time to seek help.  

“You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial.” 1 Cor. 10:23 (NLT)

4 comments:

Joanne Sher September 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

Great analogy, Joy. I remember the first time I wore glasses in fifth grade. I was AMAZED at what the clock in the living room looked like- I could actually READ the numbers LOL.

Joy Bach September 13, 2011 at 8:00 AM  

I was 12 when I realized trees had actual leaves. It is astonishing how we can just not know.

Joy Bach September 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM  

Thanks, Lisa. These always speak to me first.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP