Pain Tolerance

>> Saturday, September 24, 2011

It hadn’t started out that way. I had gone to the dentist to get a filling. The more the dentist worked on my tooth, the more sounds he was making. Finally he said, “This tooth has metastasized from the inside. I think we are going to have to do a root canal.”  

Metastasized? Root canal? Were these words I understood?  

And so he explained the decay had started inside my tooth and spread to the outside. Therefore, a filling would not work. I needed a root canal.  

“Does a root canal hurt?”  

“Yes.”  

“How long does it hurt?”  

“Not very long.”  

“Ok, go ahead.”  

Since I have a reaction to the deadening used when working on teeth, I had received no shot. I was giving him permission to continue working on me without any anesthetic.  

I can attest to the fact that root canals do, indeed, hurt.  

Then he said, “I’ve never been able to do this before. I can ask you if I got it all.” As he probed into the depth of my root, I jerked, thereby letting him know he hadn’t gotten it all.   

I don’t recommend getting a root canal without deadening.  

But how many times do we start out with a certain end in mind and halfway into the situation, things change. And due to ignorance or fear, we continue in the same direction, even though the outcome will not be at all what we anticipated.  

The new job may sound great on paper … and in the job interview. But after you quit your current job, move to another city and ensconce yourself in your new office, you discover there are some issues you hadn’t counted on. And it’s too late to go back. So you say to yourself, “Ok, we’ll just go ahead.”  

Being charged with aiding and abetting in illegal activities hurts.  

You buy a house, the market tanks … you struggle to make the house payments. The value of the houses in your neighborhood drop … and soon you owe more than the house is worth. How long do you say, “Ok, we’ll just go ahead?”  

Being upside down in your mortgage hurts.  

And even though we don’t see the persecution of Christ-followers in the United States, there are people in other countries who are beaten and tortured for their beliefs. They lose their freedom, their families and their health.  

Being a true believer to the very end hurts.  



It’s all a matter of pain tolerance. How’s yours?


”But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me.” John 15:21 (NASB)  


3 comments:

Sherry September 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

You are one tough chick, I will give you that much! Interesting question, considering today's events. I learned that taking the high road can still give you a nosebleed but at least you're not eating someone else's dirt. Pain tolerance? Better than it's ever been. Pain acceptance? Still working on it ;)

Joy Bach September 24, 2011 at 8:00 PM  

I do have a very high pain tolerance. I really like your comments. Very thought-provoking. Thanks so much.

Hydrocodone online October 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM  

The side-effects produced are common reactions to almost all opioids and concern themselves with how the body will attempt to regain its receptors to function in a normal manner. Due to the lack of normally functioning receptors, such other parts of the body and chemicals begin to hold sway and the I’mmediate result is nausea, vomiting and lightheadness. On the positive side of using Hydrocodone or Hydrocodone APAP the side-effects produced are increased tolerance to pain, because there is a numbness and a feeling of vacuum and one does not feel any pain.
This develops greater tolerance to pain and the threshold to absorb greater pain increases. This side-effect is very essentially for orthopedic-based surgeries, where correct positioning of the bone happens to correct a fracture and the overall pain multiplies many folds. It is at tI’mes like this that one finds Hydrocodone or Hydrocodone APAP to provide beneficial side-affects and prevent one from experiencing several days of severe pain.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP