Reconciliation

>> Thursday, September 15, 2011

One of my duties as a bookkeeper is to reconcile the bank statement. To do this, I compare what the bank says happened with our money to what my records say happened. If they agree, then the bank statement has been reconciled.

I do this every month.

I can’t imagine how difficult it would be if I waited a few months or years … or even longer to try and make those figures compatible. And without reconciliation I would never know for sure exactly how much money we had.

Yet I see people all around me who have relationships that need to be reconciled. Marriages fail because they did not establish a consistent method to reconcile their issues. Friendships that were once close become strained and gradually cease to exist.

It takes time and discipline to reconcile my bank statement, but knowing where I stand financially is important to me, so I make that effort. Reconciling a relationship takes the same kind of time and discipline. It all depends on just how important that relationship is to you.

Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the reconciliation. My mother was too old and set in her ways for us to negotiate one. I had to accept that fact. Other times, mental illness stands in the way.

It is a relief every month to know the bank balance is correct. But that does not compare to the satisfaction that is felt when a broken relationship has been reconciled.

“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.” Matthew 5:23-24 (NIV)


4 comments:

Rita Garcia September 15, 2011 at 6:09 AM  

Practical advice and I Love the analogy! Blessings!

Anonymous,  September 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

Well written and I agree completely. Age does make a difference. Sometimes we just need to take the high road.

Bonnie

Joy Bach September 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

Thanks, Bonnie. Sounds like you've had some experience.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP