To The Rescue

>> Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The car and motorcycle collided … and burst into flames. The 21-year old young man who had been on the motorcycle now lay unconscious under the burning car. In the scene that was shown repeatedly on television, bystanders rushed to help. The first few people could not lift the car … but more men and women hurried to place their hands on the side of the vehicle and assist in the lifting. Even though there was an imminent danger of explosion, soon there were enough good Samaritans to raise the car off the young man … enabling him to be pulled to safety.  

As I watched the rescue unfold, I thought of the people in my life that had helped assist me. No one made them do it. They saw the peril I was in and came to my aid. A brother who drove across two states to sit on my front porch and give me clear counsel … advice I never would have sought. A different brother who placed his arms around me as he stood in my living room … saying “There’s something terribly wrong in this home.” Until then I had no idea the issues were visible to anyone else.  

A pastor who understood I was going under … who asked me what my name was. And then he continued to talk to me like I was a real person … not invisible. A different pastor who helped me understand I had value … even though I was a battered and bruised specimen of a human being.  

My list could go on and on.  

I don’t know which side of this scenario describes you. Today you may be in need of aid. People truly do care and want to help. The real issue is … you have to be willing to accept their assistance. Pride can get in the way. Would you really rather stay under that burning car than suffer the indignity of being pulled out by one leg … your lifeless body sprawled on the street … for the world to see.  

None of us know when there might be a collision … either one we witness … or one which involves us. But we are all in this life together.  

Jesus replied with a story: “A Jewish man was traveling on a trip from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road.  

By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A Temple assistant walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side.  

Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him. Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.’  

Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked.  

The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.”  

Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.” Luke 10:30-37 (NLT)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP