Futility

>> Saturday, October 29, 2011

The alarm goes off. Bleary eyed I rise from my bed … dress … exercise … shower … go to work … come home from work … do housework … go to bed … to rise another day and repeat the procedure.

Is there a purpose in this?  

Have you ever felt that way? In my early days, I moved through life as a robot … and truly felt I had no purpose. I’m so delighted to tell you I no longer feel that way. I live each day deliberately … focusing on precious present moments and being alert to any contact that could turn into a divine appointment. But the feeling of life being a futile exercise is not new.  

In Haggai 1 (yes, there is a book of the Bible with that name) God is talking to His people.  

“Consider how things are going for you. You have planted much but harvested little.” What do you have to show for the long, hard days at work? Or maybe you are exhausted at the end of the day from housework, three children and poor health. Do you feel a lack of reward in those efforts?  

“You have food to eat, but not enough to fill you up. You have wine to drink, but not enough to satisfy your thirst.” As an overeater, I certainly understand this one. I have eaten and eaten my way through my days, trying to feel satisfied. Do you search for a food or drink … or something more … to satiate your needs?  

“You have clothing to wear, but not enough to keep you warm.” Even though you dress nicely … leaving a good impression … do you still feel cold inside? Or maybe what you wear is just an extension of the mask you don each morning. You long for a warm, fuzzy feeling that is just beyond your reach.  

And this one is my favorite … the one that really started this whole thought process.  

“You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” For years I tried to live paycheck to paycheck … but there was never enough. My purse had big holes. One day I discovered that God cares about my finances. The Bible gives good counsel on how to handle our money. Right now, on the radio, there is a man named Dave Ramsey who gives biblical advice about money. The bottom line is … don’t spend more than you have. It’s a simple solution, but not easy to achieve.  

Life is not an exercise in futility. It takes God to help us change our view. When we walk through each day with Him, we see life differently. A chance encounter with another person can turn into a rewarding moment. With the right small group of people, we can remove our masks and let our insides show … and the love we feel in return warms that cold spot.  

And only when we turn our money over to Him, will the holes in our purse be mended.  

“I am giving you a promise now while the seed is still in the barn. You have not yet harvested your grain, and your grapevines, fig trees, pomegranates, and olive trees have not yet produced their crops. But from this day onward I will bless you.” Haggai 2:19 (NLT)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP