Messing With My Mind

>> Tuesday, October 25, 2011

When I leave home at 5:00 in the morning, bleary-eyed and half awake, I have to work hard to remember what I need to take with me … my car keys, sheet of paper with the routines I do, water, iPhone to listen to a podcast, headphones to be able to do that and key to get in the gym.  

This morning I was sure I had remembered everything. When I go through the routines, I place everything else in a cubby provided by the gym. After I’m through with the machines, I’m ready for my water and headphones as I walk on the treadmill. My iPhone stays in my pocket. But this morning, when it was time for my water, I had none. In my mind’s eye I could see me picking up the water bottle at home … and taking it to the car.  

Guess I left it in the car.  

But after a trip to the car, I was still waterless. So for the next 30 minutes I walked and listened, but did not drink. When I went to the cubby to get my other stuff, there sat my water bottle, still full of water.  

Where did that come from? Who took it? Is it safe to drink now?  

Whether on purpose or by accident, someone definitely messed with my mind.  

Life is like that. We do everything humanly possible to get our stuff together. We have our routines … a time slot for this and another slot for that. But occasionally something isn’t in the right spot. The out-of-place thing may be something tangible, like losing car keys.  

But other times, it’s an emotional piece that may go missing. Maybe someone turned on you … said hurtful things … and you wonder where did that come from? Other times it may be a loved one who took advantage of you in the past and now they are back in your life. You wonder are they safe to trust now or will they just use me again? Life messes with our mind.  

I chose to drink the water … and I turn to God to help me deal with the other stuff.  

“God's a safe-house for the battered, a sanctuary during bad times. The moment you arrive, you relax; you're never sorry you knocked.”
Psalm 9:9-10 (MSG) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP