Patriotism

>> Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I recently read the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand … a true story about World War II. It shares in detail what it was like to be a POW … an unbelievable epic about what the human body and mind can endure.  


As I read the pages, my thoughts turned repeatedly to my own brother. He was in that war, yet I’ve never heard him mention it. This picture was taken when they received word the war was over. My brother is in the middle of the front row. What I learned from him was the strong sense of patriotism I have today.  

No, America does not have it all together. And lately it seems our reputation as a world leader is faltering. There are times I just shake my head in disbelief at some of the activities of the American people. I know all of that. But I still believe in the basic goodness of what we founded our country on.  

It breaks my heart when I watch the news and see the maimed young people returning from war … but they did return. Others gave their lives. Yet when these returnees are interviewed, they tell us they would do it again … fight for their country. One man was recently killed … in his 14th tour of duty. No one made him do that.  

Deep within me … and you … is an allegiance to the concept of freedom. I’ve never been asked to give my life for that belief. Therefore, I acknowledge those who have been willing to go in my place … to protect my freedom.  

Thank you.  

“When you go out to fight your enemies and you face horses and chariots and an army greater than your own, do not be afraid. The Lord your God, who brought you safely out of Egypt, is with you!” Deuteronomy 20:1 (NLT)  


2 comments:

Sherry November 8, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

My brother has gone out four times now. It does amaze me how much they are willing to sacrifice. Even greater still, how much God still sacrifices for us. Amazing love.

Joy Bach November 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM  

So very true, Sherry. It is amazing.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP