Going Against the Flow

>> Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I’ve read that during the holidays, people gain at least six pounds. I’ve proven that true year after year. Yep, this year during Thanksgiving time … I gained. Then my birthday rolled around … and I ate cookies. Lots of them. I like cookies. Next on the agenda was a party at our house … with an abundance of food.  

I made a decision. I would not eat at the party. I didn’t quite make it. I ate three bites of bread with spinach and artichoke dip. Three days later was the potluck at my work … with lots of good stuff. I remembered my decision … and ate sparingly.  

I’m down three pounds.  

I know that doesn’t sound like much. But to me it is huge. It is extremely difficult to go against the flow. Peer pressure … cravings … wanting to join in.  

And I like to eat … especially all the wonderful desserts.  

Being a Christ-follower is like that. It requires a decision. It is much easier to just go with the flow. The peer pressure … cravings … and the need to join in all lead to a life of following the crowd. And just because we have decided to be different, that doesn’t make it easy. I still ate, even though I had told myself I wouldn’t. As Christ-followers, we still slip and fall.  

But it feels good to know that I’ve stuck to my decisions … both in my eating and in following Christ.  

“Nobody robs a bank with everyone watching,
Yet that's what these people are doing—
they're doing themselves in.
When you grab all you can get, that's what happens:
the more you get, the less you are.”
Proverbs 1:18-19 (MSG)



3 comments:

Joanne Sher December 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM  

What a FABULOUS reminder for this season! Making that decision, against "everyone," is hard - but it's what God desires.

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps December 14, 2011 at 5:51 AM  

I can barely remember those days when I was skinny and trying always to gain weight.... it was back when the dinosaurs roamed...hum....

Joy Bach December 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM  

Thanks, Joanne, for your comments. And Marijo, I've only been skinny once in my life and I was very ill. I'd rather weigh too much. Love you guys.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP