He's Not a Cop

>> Saturday, December 3, 2011

I pulled to a stop at the red light … glancing in my rearview mirror. That’s when I saw it. Behind me was a police car. Instantly I was on the alert. I have to do everything right or he’ll pull me over. When the light changed, I turned left. So did he. Swell. I wonder how long he will be behind me? Glancing at my speedometer, I made sure I signaled before I changed lanes. He signaled to change lanes too. This is nerve-wracking. When is he going to go somewhere else?  

At Columbia Center Boulevard, I turned right. He turned right. I’m only halfway there. Is he going to follow me the whole way? When I changed lanes again, my shadow came with me. So far, so good. No lights telling me to pull over. I pulled into the mall parking lot with him right behind me. I finally reached my destination and pulled into a parking space.  

Only then did he leave me … and I could relax.  

As I walked to meet my friend, I pondered the feeling I had when the policeman was behind me. It wasn’t a good one … tense and wary.  

And that’s how I lived the first half of my life … tense and wary … of God. I constantly lived with the feeling that God was right behind me … watching every move I made … and ready to turn on his lights, pull me over and arrest me.  

I’m so grateful I no longer believe that. He’s not behind me, watching my every move. He is right beside me … sometimes carrying me … as I journey through this life.  



“Look at it this way. If someone has a hundred sheep and one of them wanders off, doesn't he leave the ninety-nine and go after the one? And if he finds it, doesn't he make far more over it than over the ninety-nine who stay put? Your Father in heaven feels the same way.” Matthew 18:12-14 (MSG)

3 comments:

Catrina Bradley... December 4, 2011 at 7:09 AM  

Joy, I LOVE this! I'm still afraid of my Father sometimes after growing up with an imperfect, demanding earthly father. The constant comparisons I hear between fathers and our Father do NOT encourage me, but this story does.
Love you!
Cat

Joanne Sher December 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

What a fabulous reminder, and a great comparison! Good stuff.

Joy Bach December 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM  

Cat, so sorry. Others have told me the same thing. It's so sad. Glad you know the truth. And thanks, Joanne. Love you both.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP