If It Be Your Will

>> Saturday, December 31, 2011

Many years ago, a group of people from the church I had recently begun attending gathered around a hospital bed … one of their own was very ill. They had asked me to come join them in prayer. Fervent petitions for healing ascended.  

Then I opened my mouth. It was my turn. I thought I knew how to pray. But as I finished with my words, there was dead silence. Immediately everyone filed out of the room. When we were out of earshot of the sick one, they let me have it.  

What kind of Christian are you? Where is your faith? You just undid all of our prayers in there. Why would you say “If it be Your will?” You know it is His will. Now she won’t be healed.  

I didn’t attend that church very long.  

I know what it is like to be desperate for an answer to prayer … to want to tell God exactly how He should respond. And I do believe He can heal. I’ve seen it happen in my own family. But the way I see it, it takes a lot more faith to say, “If it be Your will.”  

Now we are facing a new year. I would like for all of my days to be filled with sunshine, calm, have excellent health, all the bills paid, lots to eat, and everyone like me. Yet I know that is not realistic. Some days are cloudy and rainy … both outside and in my life. For someone my age, I’m in fairly good health … but I have some issues. Right now my bills are paid … but life holds no guarantees. And I already know some people don’t like me … they told me so.  

As I look at 2012, the longing of my heart is that each day I will be able to say, “If it be Your will.”  

And now I have a word for you who brashly announce, "Today—at the latest, tomorrow—we're off to such and such a city for the year. We're going to start a business and make a lot of money." You don't know the first thing about tomorrow. You're nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing. Instead, make it a habit to say, "If the Master wills it and we're still alive, we'll do this or that." James 4:13-15 (MSG)


4 comments:

Yvonne Blake January 1, 2012 at 5:16 AM  

The more I learn about God, the smaller I become. The more I read the Bible, the more I realize that God works in ways we don't understand. His plans are infinite higher than our understanding. What He does in our lives may be part of His plan for someone else's life. The more I learn of His sovereignty, the more my prayers become "Thy Will be done."
Joy, you are growing closer and closer to God. Don't let the opinions of others deter that. ((hugs))

Barbara Lynn Culler January 1, 2012 at 6:47 AM  

I agree with Vonnie. You do what God desires, not the human heart! Speaking to myself, too.

Joanne Sher January 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM  

Such a great reminder of our need to trust Him - to put it in His hands. Thank you, Joy.

Joy Bach January 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM  

Thanks so much for your comments. Yes, I feel I am growing. But just like Vonnie said, each day I get smaller in His presence. It's a good feeling.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP