Words in a Book

>> Tuesday, January 24, 2012

When I was struggling through the de-programming of my religious training, I stumbled across a book called Your Erroneous Zones by Dr. Wayne Dyer.  Upon completion of the book, I immediately read it again … and again.  The thoughts in that book were totally contrary to the beliefs I had been taught.  

Yet, thanks to that book, I learned I did not have to live daily with worry and guilt.  I wore the original book out, but have a copy on my bookshelf today.  The words in that book were an inspiration to me that helped change my life. 

In a book entitled Beyond Ourselves Catherine Marshall wrote a chapter on The Prayer of Relinquishment.  I had been taught to pray telling God what I desired … such as healing … and then He was obligated to do what I asked.  When you pray the prayer of relinquishment, you are, in essence, telling God you are willing to let Him decide what is best for you … another life-changing concept.  

The illumination I received from those words has helped me many times in my life.  I have a copy of that book on my shelf.  

The title of the book was what caught my eye.  Jess Lair, Ph.D. authored a book called I ain’t well – but I sure am better.  It was inspiring to discover that each day I could be better than I was the day before.  I still have a copy of that book on my shelf.  

Rosalind Rinker wrote a book called Prayer: Conversing with God … a truly controversial topic. It described prayer as a conversation with God.  As I began reading it, my fear of the heresy within its pages almost prevented me from progressing through the book.  I knew “prayerese” – using King James language and praying to impress others.  The concept of just talking to God seemed disrespectful.  

The insight I received from the words in that book changed my prayer life forever.  It, too, has a special place on my bookshelf.  

These books … and many others … that hold so much meaning for me were written in the 1960’s and 1970’s.  Yet they are still so very special to me today.  How satisfying it must be for authors to realize that their words in a book helped trigger personal growth in someone’s life.  

And of course, there is the Bible, written before 1960. Even though centuries have passed since those words were penned, I continually discover something new and life-changing from the words in that Book. I have several versions on my shelf.  

As a writer, I pray that some day, some where, some how, I will write some words that inspire some one to change their life for the better … words they will carry with them.  

“Write everything I tell you in a book.” Jeremiah 30:2 (MSG)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP