The Tongue

>> Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It’s everywhere … on television … in the newspaper … on the radio … in magazines … and even mentioned at church. Valentine’s Day. And the focus is on what to get her for this special day … something that will show your undying love.  

Who decided Valentine’s Day was just for the female? Don’t the guys deserve a show of love too?  

This brings me to the crux of this blog. Spending money to buy me something is fairly easy (if he remembers). But words are so much more important to me. Words that regularly let me know I matter to him … I’m important in his life … and that he cares about my happiness.   

The tongue has the ability to embed words in our minds … words that encourage us and give us warm fuzzies … or words that destroy any hope we may have for our future.  

This morning Chuck Swindoll spoke of a man I’ll call Bill. At an early age, Bill’s father told him he would never be more than a bum. Now in his 60’s, Bill is wealthy … his home filled with expensive artifacts. But that is still not good enough. Bill is always seeking the next big purchase … still trying to prove to his dead father that he’s not a bum.  

A counselor at school told one of my loved ones they would never be good for anything but washing dishes. Words like that can crush a spirit. Words spoken to me as a child held me in a dark prison for years.  

We are in control of our tongue. So today, on this day of love, think about the words you speak. It doesn’t take many to bless or destroy.  

Choose carefully.  



“In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire.” James 3:5 (NLT)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP