Worth Fighting Over

>> Tuesday, February 21, 2012

In the late 1960’s, before anyone coined the phrase Presidents’ Day, I happened to live in the Washington DC area. George Washington’s birthday on February 22nd was a big deal … lots of gigantic sales. My sister-in-law … who lived in the same area … was a shopper. I had never been, so she decided to show me how it was done.  

Since we both sewed, she chose a fabric store as the site where my lesson would occur. Lace trim was on sale for .22 a yard. And so we entered the fray. I had never witnessed anything like it. She waded right in … elbows flying … along with some shoving. Not nice words from many mouths assaulted my ears.  

“Come on. You’ll never get any just standing back there.”  

I refused. No lace on earth was worth that cat fight. She did share her spoils and I have remnants of that lace trim today.  

On this Presidents’ Day (which, according to my research, is not officially a Federal holiday) my memory of that day is still very clear. As those thoughts captured my attention, I wondered just what is it that is important enough to me to fight over like that?  

Very few things.  

Saving the life of a loved one is high on my priority list … husband … children. I would try to defend the defenseless. But there is one situation that calls for my undivided allegiance … my stand for Christ. I’ve never been asked to choose between Him and death, but in some countries that is a regular occurrence. With a gun to my head, would I still fight for my loyalty to Christ?  


It’s a choice I may be demanded to make some day.


“When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained.” Rev. 6:9 (NASB)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP