People Watching

>> Saturday, March 10, 2012

At first I didn’t understand what was happening. Why were these people looking at me … and holding up their Costco cards in my direction? Since it was chilly and breezy … and I had been sick for two weeks … when we went to Costco my husband let me out at the doorway and then went to park. I stepped just inside to wait for him.  

The people entering Costco thought I worked for Costco.  

When I realized what was occurring, I didn’t move. This was fun … to watch them as they figured out they had shown their membership card to the wrong person and immediately look for the employee … to not even care I had no authority … to stop in their tracks looking from me to the real employee.  

It was a great people-watching experiment.  

I love to watch people … to contemplate what’s going on in their lives. Sometimes I have to give myself a “Gibbs” slap to stop my negative critique … of their clothing choice … body adornment … or their size. When I get to the oh my, she is really big thought, I remember when I was rather large. Many times I pick up signals of pain or loneliness. No two are the same.  

Just as I watch other people … they are watching me.  

What signals do I give off? Do I have a wall up and they can’t connect with me? Am I so focused on my own agenda I don’t even acknowledge them? Does my face say leave me alone?  

Everyone has a story. What are you telling?


“Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently.” Romans 14:1b (MSG)

  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP