A Special Sleepover

>> Sunday, May 20, 2012

Last night I slept with my husband.  

Before you say “Duh”, please let me explain. I hadn’t slept with him since April 12th. And no, he hadn’t been out of the country. The weekend of the 12th, 13th and 14th was his off-road motorcycle training. Learning to ride on the grapefruit size rocks was his undoing … landing with his hip on one of them.  

And so (even though there were no broken bones) he was unable to lie in a bed. Thus, the big chair in the television room became his place for sleeping. Not wanting to be clear across the house from him, I slept on the couch.  

We thought it was a temporary arrangement … meaning just a few days. But five days turned into ten … then twenty … then thirty. After 40 days, he could finally sleep in the bed again.  

I know there are married couples who sleep in separate beds. Sometimes it is for physical reasons such as an injury and other times it is a choice made to insure a good night’s rest. For us, separate beds would be a punishment. It’s important to us to know throughout the night that the other one is there.  

In these past 40 days (and nights) I’ve thought about the couples for whom the separation is permanent. Perhaps their mate has been placed in a long-term care facility. For others, their loved one has passed on.  

I never want to take the closeness we have for granted.  

You have captured my heart, my treasure, my bride.
You hold it hostage with one glance of your eyes….”
Song of Solomon 4:9 (NLT)

  

2 comments:

Joanne Sher May 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM  

What a fabulous reminder of the blessing I have of my husband beside me. Thanks, Joy.

Joy Bach May 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM  

Thanks Joanne. That's the message I wanted to send.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP