Conduit or Crimped?

>> Monday, June 18, 2012

It was a special weekend away … with my husband, John … and several hundred other motorcycle riders. And I knew just where I wanted to eat in the town of John Day, Oregon … The Outpost. I ordered my food and an iced tea. The drink came complete with a straw in a clear plastic sheath. Thirsty, I reached for the straw … ripped open the end of the covering … and paused in motion on the way to my glass.  

One end of the straw was crimped shut. How was that supposed to work? As the waitress passed by, I requested a usable straw. I was given one that had an opening on both ends. It would be a useful conduit for my tea. The waitress removed the unusable straw and threw it away.  

And then my mind went into overdrive. When she returned with our food, I asked if she could retrieve the worthless straw for me. It was already in the trash, but she willingly returned it. As we ate, John and I carried on a heavy duty discussion about that straw. We know people like that.  

As Christ-followers, we are designed to be a conduit for the good news about God and His love. But some have been crimped in some way … maybe by abusive parents … a legalistic church … or unfaithful spouse. They’ve shut off the flow of goodness in their life … and many have been thrown away … worthless.  

For 30 years I lay in the trash … crimped and empty.  

But worthless straws can be fixed by cutting off the crimped end. That would make it a little shorter than other straws, but still able to contain a flow of liquid from drink to mouth. Crimped Christ-followers can also be fixed.  

The length of the straw is not the important part. The question is … long or short … are you a channel of blessing … allowing God’s love to flow through you to others?  

Or do you have a crimped end?


 “This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.” Deuteronomy 30:19 (TNIV)


6 comments:

Laury June 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM  

You are so right, Joy. I'm glad you found true Joy in your life. It hurts my heart to think you didn't know your worth. Love you!!! <3

Joy Bach June 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM  

I just love you guys to pieces. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown June 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM  

Great stuff Joy! So, what was wrong with the bike?

Judy June 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM  

Hi Joy,
I met you while you were waiting at the BMW dealer in Boise. Thanks for giving me your blog info and it was great meeting you!
Take care,
Judy

Joy Bach June 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM  

Judy, so glad to meet you. Thanks for stopping by. We weren't through with the BMW dealer. When we got the bike back to John Day it wouldn't start again. Today it is being hauled to Boise. Hope your repair went better.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP