Pattern Interrupt

>> Saturday, July 21, 2012


My bucket of life was full to the brim … and still the drops continued falling. I felt like one more drop and my bucket would break open … spilling me all over the floor. Good stuff … exciting stuff … learning stuff … and an unexpected diagnosis.

A weekend camping trip with 600 motorcycle riders … sleeping in a tent at the Grant County Fairgrounds in John Day … and the discovery that my husband’s motorcycle wouldn’t start … made for a unique time.

Teaching the Experiencing God Bible Study through the summer was a stretch for me … having never done that before. But the daily lessons focused me on God and my relationship with Him … drawing me deeper into His love. The women in my group had become more than names on a piece of paper … they were my sisters.

A weeklong trip to Tahoe to spend time with two of my daughters was exciting and full of activity … complete with bonding time over jigsaw puzzles and watching Doc Martin videos. Our relationships deepened.

I have a slow learning curve when anything new is introduced into my life. Thus a new car suddenly becoming my property threw me for a slight loop … and then to climb in it and drive to Seattle only heightened the stress. Since the Seattle trip was mandatory, the purchase of a new computer at the Apple Store was inserted into the trip. (Remember the Crash Dump?)

And the unexpected diagnosis was the reason for the trip to Seattle … where we were facing an unknown. My bucket was straining at the joints.

Time for a pattern interrupt.

But before we could leave for our escape to the coast there was one more drop for my bucket. Saying goodbye to my daughter, Lorri, who had taken a teaching position on the other side of the world … well only Georgia … but it felt the same. Tears fell as we hugged, prayed and said, “I love you”. When we returned from the coast … she would be gone.

Just as my husband and I needed a time away to rest … relax … and spend time with just each other … as a Christ-follower … life is just like that. Busyness can cause a break in our relationship with Him. Even if the activities are worthy causes and have wonderful results … if they cause a break in our relationship with Christ they are detrimental. It becomes imperative that we step out of the busy cycle and take time to be alone with Him.

When was your last pattern interrupt? 


This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
“Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved.
In quietness and confidence is your strength. Isaiah 30:15 (NLT)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP