That Door is Always Open

>> Wednesday, August 15, 2012


When we leave the house, we put our dog, Charlie, in the back yard. He has very good ears and can hear the garage door opener when we return … and dashes to the back door to be let in. However, since it has gotten so hot, he has discovered a cool spot on the north side of the house and can’t seem to hear when we come home.

This morning I ran errands and did some grocery shopping. When I came in the house, Charlie did not come running to the back door, so I opened it and called his name.
Still no Charlie.

I pushed the door almost shut, but did not latch it … and then carried the groceries in the house.

Still no Charlie.

I worked around the house a little more, even going to the bedroom on the north side and calling his name. We’ve taught him how to push a door open, so he could come in if he wanted.

I waited.

Suddenly, there he was at the door … tail wagging. I called out, “Come on” but he just stood there with his tongue hanging out … his whole body wiggling.

I thought of some people I know … who are standing at the door of a relationship with Jesus. The door is unlatched and ready for them to walk through. Jesus is saying, “Come on.” And they stand there … being friendly … watching what’s going on inside … but never taking that final step of pushing the door open and walking through.

That door is always open.

Jesus replied with this story: “A man prepared a great feast and sent out many invitations. When the banquet was ready, he sent his servant to tell the guests, ‘Come, the banquet is ready.’ But they all began making excuses. One said, ‘I have just bought a field and must inspect it. Please excuse me.’ Another said, ‘I have just bought five pairs of oxen, and I want to try them out. Please excuse me.’ Another said, ‘I now have a wife, so I can’t come.’” Luke 14:16-20 (NLT)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP