Incongruity

>> Saturday, September 15, 2012


Driving down the street, I did a double take. Is that really what I saw? I slowed and looked in my rear-view mirror. Yes, indeed. A young man … dressed in jeans … cowboy boots … cowboy hat … going down the sidewalk on a skateboard.

It just didn’t seem right. Where was the horse?

I’ve had other times like that in my life. The lovely young lady … fingernails polished … hair styled beautifully … fashionably dressed … and then she opened her mouth. Filth and trash poured forth.

It just didn’t seem right. Where was the loveliness?

What about marriages … couples that seem to have a solid relationship … kids busy with sports and music … attend church every Sunday … and one of the spouses is having an affair.

It’s just not right. What happened to faithfulness?

Incongruity. It’s everywhere. I won’t even mention politics … but I just did.

Then there are the people who call themselves Christians. Big smiles on their faces at church … ready to help the elderly … available to contribute funds for a project … and yet on Monday they live a totally different lifestyle. Their co-workers talk behind their back … “if that’s a Christian I don’t want to ever be one”. Professionals say … “I don’t ever want them as a customer. They never pay their bills”.

And it gets worse. Some go public with their utter disregard for the message of love we read about in the Bible. They blatantly announce, … “God is a God of hate. He’s glad people are being killed in wars”.

It’s just not right. The world should be drawn to Christians because of their love and high principles.

“But I have my eye on salt-of-the-earth people—they’re the ones I want working with me; men and women on the straight and narrow—these are the ones I want at my side.” Psalm 101:6 (MSG)


2 comments:

Rita Garcia September 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM  

Powerful message, Joy. You have me looking inward for incongruities in my own life. I desire to be a salt-of-the-earth person, one that God can use.

Joy Bach September 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM  

Rita, thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving a comment. I, too, desire to be a salt-of-the-earth person. Glad we are traveling together. Love you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP