Through the Haze

>> Saturday, September 22, 2012


Since I had to be at work at 7:30 … and I was headed east … the rising sun was directly in my view through the windshield. And I was looking straight at it … no protection necessary. The smoke from all the fires in our area caused a thick haze and muted the pale red/orange orb.

I thought of all the warnings and precautions I’ve heard about never looking directly at the sun … the damage it can cause. Yet here I was … doing it.

I’ve heard other warnings and precautions in my many years on this earth. In my earlier days the warnings were very rigid. “Never go to a movie theater. Those films are of the devil. Never become friends with anyone at school … they are going to hell and might take you with them.” And on and on.

So I never looked directly at that sun. I spared my eyes and my life by living in a secluded world.

In my adult years I was given other warnings. Since my husband left … and we divorced … I was told by pastors and other well-meaning folks that I could never re-marry. I must live the rest of my life as a single person. Other warnings ranged from never wearing slacks to never attending church without the proper hat and gloves.

I pondered those warnings … re-married … wear slacks … and don’t own a hat and gloves.

Some warning and precautions are necessary … and never change. The Bible gives us guidelines on how to avoid sin. Yet just as the smoke caused a haze that allowed me to look directly at the sun, life happens. The spouse leaves … the child dies … the money runs out … these experiences cause a haze that blinds the light of the Son. We can look directly at Him and yet not really see His glory. We turn to other things … drugs … alcohol … and in my case – eating. It’s a sin to do damage to our body … but the pain of living in a broken world causes the blessings of the Lord to be muted.

And so, today, even though there are personal fires in my area, I am looking directly at the Son … and see Him in all His glory.


“We don’t yet see things clearly. We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won’t be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We’ll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!” 1 Corinthians 13:12 (MSG)


3 comments:

Lauren Davenport September 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM  

Great post, thanks for sharing. As an adult I've come out from under the legalism that I grew up under, so I can definitely relate to this post!

Joy Bach September 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM  

Thanks so much, Lauren, for your comments. So glad we are both free.

Angela Young October 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM  

It's amazing what can block us from seeing God as He is. Angie

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP