Change of Address

>> Friday, October 19, 2012


Before I was old enough to understand about addresses, I lived at 118 South Rural. From there we moved to 22 West Street … 714 Cottonwood … and then 723 Sunnyslope. By then I had entered my teen years. I married … and had many addresses during that union, starting with three different abodes in Bethany, Okla.

In rapid succession we moved from Oklahoma to Kansas … where we lived in three different cities, then on to Texas and back to Oklahoma. From there the moving van hauled our possessions to North Carolina … Maryland … and back to Oklahoma, where we had two different addresses. The final move in that marriage was to Nebraska … involving three different houses.

By then I had reached the ripe old age of 30.
 
I’ve moved another ten times. My last change of address was almost three years ago. As I thought about the wonderful new home we now live in … built specifically for my husband and me … one designed to see us into old age … I realized this is not my last address. 

I will have at least one more … heaven.
 
Viewing this home from that perspective makes all the difference in this world. Yes, it’s a beautiful, solid, energy-efficient home. We are delighted with it … and live comfortably within its walls. But it’s not our final home … it’s just ours to enjoy for a while.  

But it is still just a temporary address … and so is yours. 


“They saw it way off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they were transients in this world. People who live this way make it plain that they are looking for their true home. If they were homesick for the old country, they could have gone back any time they wanted. But they were after a far better country than that—heaven country.” Hebrews 11:14-16 (MSG)


4 comments:

dandelionfleur October 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM  

What a recollection you have! I can't remember ANY of the numerous places I lived as a child. And there are no pictures. Love my home now, and like you, am looking forward to the final one.

Joy Bach October 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM  

Good afternoon. With each one, I can envision it ... and the memories that engulfed it. We have a wonderful home now, but I do try to keep in mind that it's not my final one. Love you, Joy

Elena October 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM  

So you are more rich like us...

Joy Bach October 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM  

Elena, thanks for dropping by. Very true statement.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP