Open Wide

>> Friday, October 5, 2012


Being examined by an eye doctor is routine for me. Some visits measure my eye pressure … some test my peripheral vision … and others take slices of pictures of the inside of my eye. I was told my appointment yesterday morning was a pressure check and would take less than 30 minutes. Since I had gotten behind with some personal duties, that was fine with me. I would have all day to catch up.

Not so.

The pressure check … which is a puff of air blown in your eye … three times each eye … lots of fun, was completed and then the assistant led me to the exam area. “What’s going on? I thought the pressure check was all I had scheduled.” But the doctor wanted to see me, so I compliantly sat in the eye exam chair. Many times, when the doctor is checking my vision, he puts some yellow goop in my eyes so he can see my eye better. He can see better … not me … it’s sticky. 

He walked into the room, with small talk and a pat on my knee … then he held down my lower eyelid and put a drop in … moving quickly to the other eye. When I blinked, it wasn’t sticky … and I knew. He had just dilated my eyes. Instantly I knew my day was shot. Just driving home would be a struggle. It takes my eyes all day to return to normal.
 
In the meantime, the pupils of my eyes are wide open … making it painful to try to see. I squint … get a headache … and sometimes dizzy … all because that hole that is supposed to be almost shut is just the opposite. The doctor can see all around in my eye.

Most of us live life with the opening into our lives almost shut. Sometimes we allow a few people to see just a little bit more of who we really are. But a few of us are braver … allowing that opening to grow wider. Our children … our spouse … our best friend … see some of the ugliness we try to hide. Maybe we’re greedy … jealous … judgmental … or full of pride.

But God comes along … puts a little drop of conviction in our eye … and our carefully guarded hole opens up. As He examines us, He gives us a record of what He sees in there … and it’s not pretty. It’s painful to see it … and sometimes it ruins more than just one day. If we fight against the truth, it can take years. We live a life of headaches and dizziness, wanting the truth to go away.

But if we desire to have clear vision … to be a true follower of Christ … we must allow the Doctor to see all the hidden areas of our life. Only then will we have healthy, 20/20 eyesight.

Have you had your eyes dilated lately?

“The Lord’s light penetrates the human spirit, exposing every hidden motive.” Proverbs 20:27 (NLT)


4 comments:

dandelionfleur October 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM  

I have my eyes dilated when I LEAST expect it, too. Nothing like a good dose of Dr. God.

Joy Bach October 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM  

I know. True on all accounts. Thanks

Joy Bach October 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM  

Thanks, Angela. I appreciate t.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP