Take Off Your Hat

>> Sunday, November 25, 2012



My days are busy so I try to be organized. It seemed like a good plan to just go by the driver’s license place on my way home from exercise. … do some paperwork, pay them some money and be on my way. I would save time and not have to go back out.  

Did I mention I was on my way home from exercise … dressed in sweats and a baseball cap?

So imagine my surprise when they said, “Just step right over here and we’ll get your picture taken. You’ll need to take off your hat.”

No way.

“I’m on my way home from exercise and didn’t realize you were going to take a picture. You really don’t want me to take off my hat. Can I just do the paperwork, go home and clean up and then let you take the picture?’

The answer was no.

And so, for four years, my driver’s license has been a constant reminder to me that sometimes efficiency is not all that matters.

That concept is also true in my Christian life. I may have my day planned … a visit with someone in the middle of the schedule. But what happens when I hear a need behind all the spoken words? Do I say, “You know, I’m just not ready for this right now. Can I go home and come back later, when I have my Bible and scripture references ready?”

Or do I take off my baseball cap and reveal some of my faults and inadequacies? With my flaws showing, they are more willing to open up.

Sometimes they take off their hat too.

“If you walk around with your nose in the air, you’re going to end up flat on your face, but if you’re content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself.” Luke 18:14b (MSG)






0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP