A Slap in the Face

>> Tuesday, December 4, 2012


It’s been in the news lately … complete with a picture … the New York Police Officer kneeling down beside a homeless man. The officer purchased some boots for the shoeless man, to help keep his feet warm. A visitor from out of state took the photo … and it went viral … with the viewers blessing the police officer for his kindness.

Yet the latest news is the homeless man is shoeless again. He’s hidden his boots somewhere safe because they are worth a lot. And he wants compensation from the photographer for his picture going around the world.

That’s like a slap in the face of the kind police officer.

I’ve been slapped like that before … going out of my way to provide “care” packages for someone who says, “If you think giving me stuff like that and a gift card makes you a good person who are soooo wrong.” Or the time I purchased a coat for someone … like the police officer wanting to help them be warm … and they took it back for the money.

A slap in the face of kindness.

But as I’ve thought about that homeless man’s actions, I couldn’t help but wonder how many times I’ve slapped God in the face. In His mercy, He provides something I need. But in my arrogance or ignorance, I reject that offer for something of my own choosing.

Have you slapped anyone lately?

“About face! I can revise your life. Look, I’m ready to pour out my spirit on you; I’m ready to tell you all I know. As it is, I’ve called, but you’ve turned a deaf ear; I’ve reached out to you, but you’ve ignored me.” Proverbs 1:23-24 (MSG)


2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM  

Joy, I especially enjoyed this blog post. It is so true. Sad but true. Thankfully, some people are truly grateful for the help they receive, and I'll remember to be one of them when God gives me what I need and not necessarily what I want.
Thanks! Sallie

Joy Bach December 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM  

Sallie, thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Once again, you encourage me. Joy

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP