Dropping the Needle

>> Sunday, December 9, 2012


I learned to knit using circular needles. As I worked my way across the row and reached the end, I would just let go of the empty needle, turn the work around and begin the next row. That process functioned just fine until I started a project that called for straight knitting needles.

No problem.

I worked my way across the row, reached the end … and promptly dropped my knitting needle on the floor. Oops, I forgot I wasn’t using a circular needle. I picked up the fallen needle, turned the project around, worked my way across the row … and dropped my knitting needle on the floor.
 
Slow learner.

After a few times of watching me bend over and pick up the needle, my husband could take it no longer.

“What are you doing?”

Even though I knew the real question, I answered “Knitting.”

His curiosity was not satisfied with that response. So I had to admit I had a very short memory … and that my programming using a circular needle was causing issues.

I find I have the same issues in life.

It’s hard to re-program when you’ve spent a lifetime of unhealthy eating. The healthy food makes it to your mouth for a day or two, and then the bad eating habits kick in. Or maybe you’ve been trained to say “yes” to anything asked of you, even though you are already stressed. When you decide to take charge of your time … to learn to say “no” … you still find the words, “Sure, I’ll do that” coming out of your mouth.
 
And the hardest re-programming for me was to undo my legalistic, religious training. Even though I was striving to be non-judgmental, the words that spewed from my mouth were harsh and condemnatory.

I’m still working on that one … but haven’t dropped any needles lately.

“So don’t make judgments about anyone ahead of time—before the Lord returns. For he will bring our darkest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. Then God will give to each one whatever praise is due.”
1 Corinthians 4:5 (NLT)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP