Whose Glasses are You Wearing?

>> Monday, January 7, 2013


We had just completed an enjoyable time around our table, visiting with friends as we ate dinner. Then my husband decided to read something to them. He walked to the corner of the kitchen counter where he always kept a few of his “cheater” glasses, placed a pair on his nose, and then struggled to read. I watched as he tipped his head one way … and then another.

He couldn’t read.

Removing the glasses, he looked carefully at them … and then at our friends.

“Did one of you lay some glasses down here?”

Receiving an affirmative answer, he laid those glasses aside and reached for another pair on the counter. This time they were his glasses and he could read.

As I watched that scenario unfold, I thought of how many years I lived my life wearing someone else’s glasses. Life was never in focus … and was always unsettling. The ideologies that ruled my days never quite fit what I felt inside.

I was wearing someone else’s dogma … and trying to make it work for me.

Breaking free from life-long beliefs is not quite as simple as laying down one pair of glasses and picking up another. It requires sifting of ideas, analyzing concepts and being in tune with your insides. If you are a Christ-follower, each doctrine needs to be measured against the word of God. That can’t happen in an instant. It took me about two years.

Whose glasses are you wearing?

“If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it.” James 1:5 (MSG)


2 comments:

Marijo (Mary Jo) Phelps January 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM  

Love this example - Mick and I were talking about something like this today when he got OTC glasses that were too strong!

Joy Bach January 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM  

Good morning, Marijo. Thanks for stopping by ... and for your constant encouragement.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP