There is Only One Key That Works

>> Thursday, March 7, 2013


I drove to the gym even though the sky was still dark. If I didn’t get my exercise done now, I wouldn’t do it. Years of experience had taught me that. There was an empty parking space right in front of the gym door. After turning off the car, I gathered the necessary items … key card to get in the door, bottle of water, piece of paper with my five different routines, my headphones and my iPhone. Then I reached in the zipper pocket on my purse where I kept my car key and added that to my items needed. 

The way to lock my car … after making sure you have the key … is to push on a black button on the car handle. The car beeps to let you know it’s locked. So I pushed on the black button. The sound of a high-pitched whine filled the air. Puzzled, I made sure I had my key in my hand. Sure enough. So I tried again. Another whine.

After three tries, I knew my car lock was broken. Now what to do?

I walked to the front door of the gym where light was shining through the glass door. Maybe I could see if there was something wrong with the key. Imagine my surprise when it didn’t look like my key. It took a moment for me to realize my error. My husband and I had taken my boss’s car to the airport the night before … so he could drive home after landing. I had placed his car key in the zipper pocket on my purse to give to him when I went to work.  
 
I was trying to lock my car with his car key. When I traded his key for mine, it worked.

That happens in life too. In every area of our life, we can repeatedly use the wrong key. Maybe it’s a parenting issue. We think if we just push harder … or longer … it will work. But the high-pitched whine continues as we try to make our way through the darkness. It’s only when we move to the Light that we can see we’re holding the wrong key.

There’s only one Key that works.

“I have a special word of caution for you who are sure that you have it all together yourselves and, because you know God’s revealed Word inside and out, feel qualified to guide others through their blind alleys and dark nights and confused emotions to God. While you are guiding others, who is going to guide you?” 2 Peter 2:19-21 (MSG)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP