Squirrel, Kitty or Skunk

>> Monday, May 27, 2013


It seemed like any other normal day.  Driving home from work down a city street, I glanced to my right and saw a man walking on the sidewalk. Suddenly he stopped in mid-stride. At that moment a squirrel emerged from under some bushes and slowly started across the street in front of me.

That’s odd. He must be afraid of squirrels. 

That’s when I realized the squirrel was black with a white stripe. I froze in mid-drive … slamming on my brakes. At four o’clock in the afternoon, a skunk crossed the street in front of me and calmly walked into the yard of the first house.

If I knew who lived there, I would call and warn them about who just came to visit. But I’m not walking to the front door.

I headed home. The man resumed his walk.

As I drove, I thought about life. Some activities may look innocent … like a squirrel … from a distance. Sometimes … like a child … one may not know the difference between a squirrel and a skunk. As we dabble in an unknown, we may be in danger of being sprayed with a very unpleasant odor.

If we observed a child chasing a black and white “kitty”, we would immediately reach out to rescue them. What about those around us who are involved in unsavory activities … making unwise choices? Do we caution them? Would they thank us?

Or … like a child denied its “kitty” … would they lash out?

Do we try anyway? Is it our responsibility? Or do we wait for the consequences … the unpleasant odor … to assault our nostrils?



 “None of this going off and doing your own thing. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense.” Colossians 3:16 (MSG)


1 comments:

dandelionfleur May 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM  

You raise good questions, Joy.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP