Where's Your Front Porch

>> Sunday, June 9, 2013


Back in the good ole’ days, folks gathered on front porches to discuss everything from weather, to new babies to politics and religion. Wooden rocking chairs were a staple on the wide sweeping porches … chairs that said welcome. Neighbors knew neighbors. Parents watched out for all the children playing in their yard … and kisses for owies or discipline for an infraction were dispensed to all children alike.

Today, front porches are added to the house to provide a small shelter for the front door … our house included.

So my question is, “Where is the gathering place for you?”

There used to be a program on television where friends from all walks of life partook of drinks at a bar called “Cheers”. And everyone knew their names.

For several years now (even though I do not drink coffee), almost daily my husband and I have gathered at a local Starbucks. The customers we met there have become our “neighborhood”. We know when someone is sick … or moving … or received a promotion. We celebrate together … and commiserate together. And we don’t agree on politics.

I am acquainted with people who attend my church who never fellowship with anyone who doesn’t attend there. Their cocoon keeps them safely inside … surrounded by others who only believe the same way.

How boring.

For 30 years of my life, I had no friends … and didn’t know I needed any. It was a stretch for me to reach out to one … and then one more. But today my life is filled with a variety of people of all ages, lifestyles and philosophies. They know I would drop everything and come running if they needed me … and they would do the same. 


Where’s your front porch?

“Never abandon a friend—either yours or your father’s. When disaster strikes, you won’t have to ask your brother for assistance. It’s better to go to a neighbor than to a brother who lives far away.” Proverbs 27:10 (NLT) 



3 comments:

Unknown June 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM  

Thanks Friend! Good words.

Joy Bach June 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM  

Thank you. And you're welcome.

Gail Thomas July 28, 2013 at 7:02 AM  

Hello Joy! I have just dipped my toe is the big pool of blogging! I am now searching for women with similar (as well as different) life experiences , joys, sorrows, challange...I like your words and your style:)I look forward to following you and hope you will check my blog out as well. Its going to take me awhile to get the hang of this and get connected..its a WAY bigger pool than I thought! Gail Thomas

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 * © customized by Mari @ Free2Bedesigns.com/

Back to TOP